Recently I was getting a lot of questions what did I do that I lost so much weight?
Before picture taken in Maldives, Iru Fushi on 08/17/2014:
I decided to share with others how I achieved today result by dropping from 160.5 pounds /72.8 kg (weight taken on August 17th, 2014) today my weight is 128.5 pounds /58.3kg . You can see the shared photos before and now:
Now, picture taken at Qasr Al Sarab Desert Resort and Spa on 12/31/2014:
The current weight is what I had most of my life but because I am not anymore in my home country (moving every 2-3 years), now in China, before Norway & US. Believe me it is not easy to keep fit without availability of some type of lean home country food. I share later what type of such Polish lean diet I used to have.
Anyway I open this blog not only for weight loss sharing experience, I want to share each even small success when I won every day battle with my laziness to motivates myself for the next day battle as well anybody who has same struggle every day.
Today I walk you thru my journey and how I managed to lose 10 kg within the first month and maintain with small drop weight every month.
My journey started in October last year in very unpleasant circumstances, on 26th of September I broke both arms falling from a bicycle, I will share more details, with you later on about it in my next post.
Before I share all of my weight loss story I wanted to give simple & quick to apply right away tips what to Do & Do Not to lose weight, based on my experience.
Below I am sharing My Do & Don’t to lose the excess weight
- Eat Proteins
- Walk as much as you can
- Drink green tea, Puer Chinese tea, Lotus Laves tea, Ginger tea
- Take Natural Supplements like Chlorella, Green Coffee beans, Nopal, Kelp, Resveratrol
- Detox to clean up your body
- Eat organic food, especially meats & veggies
- Use spices that supports weight loss –cardamom, turmeric, cayenne pepper, cinnamon, garlic
- Eat Eggs & caviar
- Check the weight every day
- Write what you eat & observe how your weight changes
- Eat carbohydrates
- Eat highly processed food
- Low fat, diet food
- Skimp on sleep
- Eat before sleep or in the night
- Think about food
Before I explain I would like to tell you that now after New Year I eat pretty everything, but still look out what quality of the food and try to stay away from highly processed food. If I eat bread I pick the good one, if I use carbohydrates, I basically changed white rice to brown rice, use quinoa, chia seeds, oats,
If I eat sweets I mainly eat dark > 75% cocoa chocolate. I try to exercise during the weekends, mainly walking or running on my tread mill. Yesterday first time since my accident happened sit on bicycle and I am proud of myself. After New Year Eve I was back on horse riding at at Qasr Al Sarab Desert Resort and Spa, amazing to ride on the desert and watch red sand in the rising sun. In China is not like in Texas where I had my own Arabian horse. There are not much places to ride however on Tuesday I am going to ride!
Ok let me give you some explanation why DO or DO NOT when take efforts to lose weight.
In that post let me first focus on what to DO TO LOSE WEIGHT.
Do Eat Proteins
Here is why:
Literally every function of your cells, organs and whole body is controlled by proteins. They are all made within the body from smaller molecules which ultimately have come from foods. None of our body proteins arrives readymade. On the begging actually first 2 weeks I was mainly eating fish, for lunch eggs with caviar and dinner cod fillet or salmon or halibut. A low dietary intake of cod protein is sufficient to increase growth, improve serum and tissue fatty acid compositions, and lower serum postprandial glucose.
Recently, the diet pendulum has swung in favor of counting calories—an effective weight-loss tool, but not one that always prioritizes protein. Many women perceive foods that are rich in protein as being high in calories or fattening. Protein isn’t as portable as other foods. The best sources—fish, meat, dairy, beans—aren’t as quick or convenient as most carbs or even fruits and veggies. Traditional protein sources aren’t usually grab and go. And if they are, they’re often fried or unhealthy. So be prepared that it will cost you a bit more time. I am lucky my husband does not work, thanks to him he was cooking for me diet food –grilled chicken or steamed fish code, salmon, halibut. In China we bought Thermomix, it is pretty expensive but my husband was confident he will use it. I was reluctant, I thought it will be another ‘dust collector’. Fortunately to my big surprise he is using it every day and was really helpful during my diet. It was pretty amazing, my husband cooks sometimes 3 types of dishes –one for himself, the other for my daughter if she does not like what he was cocking for himself and the third one, a lean dish anyone, I asked him to do for me. Thank you My Darling! Now are holidays in China and we are mainly visiting the restaurants here in Shanghai, but I am planning to go back for a while on protein diet, as my goal is to reach 125 pounds by April. Let us see J
Overall coming back to point, third of women between the ages of 20 and 40 don’t get their RDA of protein, according to the most recent data from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Consider this: A Johns Hopkins University study found that a diet in which roughly a quarter of the calories (about 60 percent more than the recommended 10 to 15 percent) come from lean protein sources reduced blood pressure, LDL (“bad”) cholesterol levels, and triglycerides better than a traditional higher-carb diet. Other research finds that diets rich in protein can help prevent obesity, osteoporosis, and diabetes. The Power of Protein: The moment it leaves your fork, protein starts winnowing your waistline. High-protein foods take more work to digest, metabolize, and use, which means you burn more calories processing them. They also take longer to leave your stomach, so you feel full sooner and for a longer amount of time. The cumulative effect has obvious benefits for anyone who is watching her weight. In a study published in Nutrition Metabolism, dieters who increased their protein intake to 30 percent of their diet ate nearly 450 fewer calories a day and lost about 11 pounds over the 12-week study without employing any other dietary measures!
And if, like most successful dieters, you’re burning calories as well as counting them, protein is doubly essential for making sure you lose fat, not muscle. Your body uses the amino acids in protein to build lean muscle, which not only makes you stronger and more toned but also fries calories even when you’re not active—unlike lazy fat. Ultimately, this keeps your metabolism humming along at high speed so you can burn off the occasional cookie, no problem. You should consuming between 0.5 grams and 1.0 grams of protein per pound of your body weight. That’s 70 grams to 140 grams a day for a 140-pound woman. Skew on the high end if you’re very active, and on the low end if you’re trying to lose weight. If both apply, shoot for an amount somewhere in the middle—around 130 grams. To be honest I was taking only proteins on first 2 week, and much more without real exercise, just walking 40 minutes each way to & from a subway. Later when you stop your 2 weeks protein burning phase, aim to get at least 30 of those grams at breakfast. That’s roughly the amount you’ll get from two eggs and a cup of cottage cheese or white cheese if available. After fasting all night, your body is running on empty and may start drawing on muscle tissue for fuel if you don’t replenish its protein stores first thing in the a.m. Plus, studies have found that protein-rich breakfasts can help regulate your appetite all day.
But not all proteins are created equal. While nuts, whole grains, and veggies technically count, they don’t contain all nine of the amino acids your body needs in order to build lean muscle. Those that do—known as complete proteins—are typically found in animal products. Your best flat-belly bets are skinless white chicken or turkey, seafood, low-fat dairy, pork tenderloin, and lean beef or veal. All of these foods have just one to three grams of fat per 50-calorie serving.
Vegetarians need to be a little more creative. Pairing incomplete proteins—peanut butter on whole-wheat bread, or brown rice and beans, for example—can pinch-hit for complete ones. Or nosh on complete proteins such as tofu, hemp seed, buckwheat, and quinoa. The beauty of protein is that with so many tasty options, getting your daily dose is a simple pleasure.
Now to maintain my weight and still lose a bit more, I try to use mainly a good proteins, and use quinoa instead of white potato, but since I love them I do eat them as well but not so often like in the past and not the same big portions as in the past J
Walk as much as you can.
Here is why:
Walking is a gentle, low-impact form of exercise that’s easy, free and suitable for people of all ages and most abilities. Here’s why it’s so good for you:
- It strengthens your heart
- It lowers disease risk
- It keeps weight in check
- It can help prevent dementia and osteoporosis, too
- It tones your legs, bum – and tum, Let’s not forget your arms
- It boosts your vitamin D levels
- It gives you energy
- It makes you happy
I am walking whenever I can, I started to walk to subway about 5,589 steps (4.3km), you can use Health apps to measure how much you do daily. I listened my friend and started to take longer way in the office when going to restroom or to grab a cup of coffee or tea, it added me per day over 2500 steps just only moving in the office area. I lived in Texas and I know how hard is to walk there due to 2 main reasons:
- Mainly highways, lack of pathways, you must use a car
Then try at least to walk evenings in your neighborhood, if you have a dog that is perfect, I have 2 J.
I live in China and due to huge traffic it is faster to walk and use subways or just a bike. The only problem here is very high pollution, but every excuse is good to skip exercise so I stopped finding the excuses and keep going with what I suppose to do and I think it is the best advice! Keep going with your schedule. For example in Bergen, Norway people would barely go outside because it rains almost every day, there are more places like that and what you think people do not go out. No not at all! They just keep saying there is no bad weather you may just have bad clothes. And this is true, however in China I found really difficult to walk when rains as it is crazy slippery, I think the dust on pathways combined with water creates slippery ground. I asked my friends from Norway to bring me the rain resistant and not slippery running shoes, well they brought Asics, seemed to be very good but still slippery for the Chinese after rain ground. This is why I bought in China a treadmill to use at home and my husband was laughing (well when I saw at my friend’s house I could not understand too) that I am not going to use it, now he should apologize J It is convenient to have it at home as whenever you have 30min or an hour you can at least walk and watch you serial, movie or news. My husband hates running as he says it is very boring but he found it is not anymore if he can watch something at the time. I use music from youtube or from CD player.
You think your work does not help you to exercise, I can guarantee that if you talk to your boss and explain how important is for you to achieve your goal and loose weight, he or she will understand and I am pretty sure will agree to some flexibility to come later to office if you like to exercise in the morning or leave earlier and let you finish your tasks from home if urgent.
When I worked in Sugar Land I used to go to the gym during lunch time, my company provides a very nice one, but of course I found a good excuse not to continue. I explained to myself that it is too much hassle to change and take shower and it overall takes too much time. But who cares if you agree with your boss that you catch up later, it should not become an issue. So again do not let any excuses to screw up on your resolutions.
On top of walking find the sport you really like and do it at least once a week, I love horse riding and have new resolution this year to keep going at least once a week, starting next Tuesday and I am excited about it. This also allows me to spend time with my daughter. Can you find any sport you can do with at least one of your family member, a friend or your girl/boyfriend? It is much nicer to train with somebody. I like squash but since I got my knee PCL injury I cannot anymore do sports like squash or other that may cause my knee twist. But I do not want to give up, nope! My husband and daughter love skiing, before injury when my daughter was still too little to ski, me and my husband were skiing on black FIFA slopes in Szczyrk. I was skiing on the ice, my knees had to work very hardly. I also used to dash down in Golgota, but not anymore L. After knee injury in 2010 when playing women soccer in Norway I have to take it easy. But I did not gave up with skiing, as I like it so much. Last time we were skiing in 2011 in Colorado and my orthopedist recommended me to use a knee brace. I was using it but it was very inconvenient. Now after braking both arms my new physiotherapist from Shanghai gave me the tips how to make my knees stronger. I already plan winter vacations in Austria with our Polish friends from Shanghai. My new resolution is to start training on knee & legs mussels, actually I should keep training arms’ muscles too. Anyway next time I share with you exercises my physiotherapeutist recommended on my knees.
Drink green tea, Puer Chinese tea, lotus leaves tea, ginger tea.
Here is why:
Puer Tea, Pu-Erh tea (also known as aged or vintage tea) is another of China’s great treasures and has only recently been discovered in the West. It is unlike any other tea in the world but Westerners can appreciate its similarities to fine wine, with which it shares many attributes. To add to the confusion in naming, Pu-Erh Tea comes in two varieties: Green (Sheng) and Black (Shou). Many Emperors drank Pu-Erh tea for longevity. Both green and black varieties of Pu-Erh tea can be stored for long periods of time. In fact the longer the storage, the better the tea gets. There are many health benefits attributed to drinking Chinese tea, ranging from feelings of well-being to near magical cures. For the average Westerner, much of this interest is focused on ancient claims related to weight loss and more modern claims of cancer-prevention due to tea’s anti-oxidant properties. For reference purposes only, I list the benefits of Pu-Erh Tea as commonly recognized in Traditional Chinese Medicine:
- Aids digestion and fat break down,
- Has been used in the treatment of arteriosclerosis, colds, bleeding and hepatitis,
- High level of Vitamin C which is soluble in water and can be rapidly assimilated by the body.
Lotus is one of the worlds most sacred plants, and has been used in traditional medicine for thousands of years. The lotus has been a sacred icon of Buddhists, Hindus, and Egyptians, considered the symbol of beauty, perfection and purity, because the beautiful blossom floats clean and untouched from the muddy pools from which it rises. The rhizomes and leaves of the lotus are combined with other herbs in China, India and other Asian traditional medicines to treat sunstroke, fever, diarrhea, and the whole plant is used to treat mushroom poisoning. Lotus flowers are recommended as a cardiovascular tonic, and the stamens are used to treat urinary frequency. Lotus is also considered to improve virility and treat premature ejaculations. The flowers have diuretic, astringent, and cooling properties. List of Lotus Leaves Benefits
- Healthy Heart (Increases blood flow and lowers blood pressure)
- Reduces anxiety and stress
- Promotes healthy Liver functions
- Stopping internal bleeding (For Example: Urine in the blood)
- Treats diarrhea
- Treats ringworm
- Helps weight Loss by increasing metabolism
- Has anti-bacterial and anti-fungal properties.
Lotus Leaves can treat Weight Problems, with L-carnitine (something that helps the body turn fat into energy) can treat weight problems! Looks like with these two things combined, fatty tissues weren’t even able to form! Lotus leaves were specially good with preventing people from gaining weight and absorbing carbohydrates and fats which then becomes energy. I am drinking in form of tea which really suppressed my appetite.
Do Take Natural Supplements like Chlorella, Green Coffee beans, Nopal, Kelp, Resveratrol.
Here is why:
Chlorella is a fresh water, single-celled algae that grows in fresh water. Chlorella provides all of the dietary-essential amino acids in excellent ratios. It is also a reliable source of essential fatty acids that are required for many important biochemical functions, including hormone balance. Chlorella also contains high levels of chlorophyll, beta-carotene and RNA/DNA. More than 20 vitamins and minerals are found in chlorella, including iron, calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphorous, pro-vitamin A, vitamins C, B1, B2, B2, B5, B6, B12, E and K, biotin, inositol, folic acid, plus vitamins C, E and K.
Green coffee beans are basically just unroasted coffee beans, are loaded with antioxidants and pharmacologically active compounds. Chlorogenic Acid is believed to be the main active ingredient in green coffee beans. That is, the substances that produces the weight loss effects. In addition Green coffee bean extract does contain some caffeine. Several studies have shown that caffeine can boost metabolism by up to 3-11%
Nopal cactus, known in Spanish as nopales, is an easy vegetable to add to a variety of recipes. Nopal cactus (prickly pear) is rich in antioxidants, plus it helps normalize cholesterol and blood glucose
Kelp is a sea vegetable that has been consumed by Eastern countries for years, but is only now beginning to make its way onto the North American plate. And research studies are proving just how valuable kelp is to our health. For example, there is now conclusive evidence that Japanese women, whose diets are rich in kelp, have lower rates of ovarian, endometrial and breast cancer. Kelp is Excellent source of vitamins and minerals, Helps in Thyroid Gland Regulation, Kelp helps in hydration, Assists in Weight Management and Weight Loss, Improves body pH, Protects against Radiation Poisoning, Cancer prevention, In addition, kelp benefits include the following properties: anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, anti-tumor, anti-biotic, anti-viral, and immune-stimulating.
Resveratrol is a natural compound found in red grape skin, Japanese knotweed (polygonum cuspidatum), peanuts, blueberries and some other berries. It is a powerful antioxidant produced by some plants to protect them against environmental stresses. Antioxidants neutralize free radicals, which are believed to be the cause of aging. Resveratrol has been promoted to have many health benefits such as protecting the heart and circulatory system, lowering cholesterol, and protecting against clots which can cause heart attacks and stroke.
By the way be careful, more is not better when it comes to vitamins and supplements, and too much of a good thing can actually be harmful.
I do not take vitamins only minerals. I believe that it should come from food. Only vitamin D and only in natural form of the fish oil because my blood test showed I should suplmente it and doctor prescribed. Vitamins should not be taken if not prescribed by doctor. If you read about people who had cancer history they should not intake vitamins in form of supplements. Except viatmics: A, C, E & Q10
Some of them are available in natural form or in pills.
Do Detox to clean up your body
Detoxification, or detox, is the process of removing toxic substances from the body. Diets that claim to achieve a full detox in a matter of days have been around for decades, and several methods exist.
- Do a fruit detox. Fruit detoxes are a great way to fast without starving yourself. Among other health benefits, getting enough fruit can increase your energy levels, help manage your weight, and even reduce the likelihood of stroke. You can either detox by eating a variety of different fruits, or by only eating one kind of fruit. For best results, choose a fruit that you enjoy eating so that you don’t feel like you’re suffering. Do not exceed 7 days in a row of a fruit-only diet.
- Eat citrus fruits. These fruits have the highest detoxifying power, and include oranges, tangerines, grapefruit, lemons, and limes. You can eat them on their own or combine them with other fruits. Again, do not exceed 7 days in a row of a fruit-only diet.
- Try a grape detox. Grapes contain resveratrol, which can protect against cancer and diabetes, and potentially prevent blood clots. They are also a great source of potassium and Vitamin C. Eat nothing but grapes (whichever kind you like) for 3-5 days. After I lost weight I drink almost every morning before going to work a juice that contains: freshly squeezed grapefruit and lemon with a bit of warm water, sometimes I add Manuka honey, if feeling cold or freshly squeezed pomegranate when available.
- Do a liquid fast. Consume nothing but liquids (water, tea, fruit juice, vegetable juice, and/or protein shakes) for 2-3 days. Liquid diets can help jump-start weight loss by restricting caloric intake, and are believed to cleanse your body of certain toxins. Be sure to include fruit and/or vegetable juices in your liquid fast to ensure that your body is getting the proper nourishment. If your goal is to lose weight, then you will have to change your eating habits once the liquid fast is over, or you will simply gain all the weight back.
- Eat only fruits and vegetables for 7 days. Fruits and vegetables contain the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients your body needs to stay healthy. Be sure to eat a diverse combination of produce to ensure that you are getting the proper nutrients. Use the following guide to determine what to eat during your fast:
- Get fiber from kidney beans, black beans, apples, soybeans, blueberries, and artichokes.
- Get potassium from carrots, bananas, lima beans, white potatoes, cooked greens, and sweet potatoes.
- Get Vitamin C from kiwis, strawberries, kale, cauliflower, tomatoes, oranges, Brussels sprouts, mangoes, and bell peppers.
- Get folate from cooked spinach, melons, asparagus, oranges, and black-eyed peas.
- Get good fats from avocado, olives, and coconut.
- Eat organically grown produce and meat. Conventional produce is grown with chemical fertilizers and synthetic insecticides, while organic produce is grown with natural fertilizers and pesticides. Organic meats have far fewer harmful antibiotics, growth hormones, and medications that are fed to animals on conventional farms.
- Check labels to determine whether or not a food is organic. Organic foods should have a green USDA Certified Organic Seal.
- Drink enough water. Getting enough water is essential to your health. Among its other health benefits, water helps maintain your body’s fluid levels, which helps your kidneys flush out the body’s main toxin, blood urea nitrogen.
- Drink lemon water. Add lemon, orange, or lime juice to your water throughout the day. These fruits contain citric acid, which helps your body cut down fat. Plus, adding flavor to your water can make it a lot easier to get those 8 daily cups in! Brush your teeth in between meals to prevent acid erosion from the lemons.
- Cut out alcohol.Research has suggested that alcohol may be linked with the onset of certain types of cancer, including breast cancer in women. Though you don’t have to cut it out entirely, stick to one glass of wine or beer a night, at most.
- Avoid added sugars. Consuming excess sugar on a regular basis can cause your blood sugar levels to spike, putting you at greater risk for heart disease, diabetes, and certain cancers in the long run. Read all nutrition labels and beware of added sugars in bread, salad dressings, and sauces.
- Limit your exposure to harmful toxins in the air. These include carbon monoxide, radon, and asbestos, all of which may be found in homes. Carbon monoxide is a potentially fatal odorless chemical that is produced from furnaces, grills, and car engines. Side-effects include headaches, dizziness, and lethargy. Consider getting a carbon monoxide detector in your home, and keep your home properly ventilated. Homes and buildings should be properly tested for asbestosand radon.
- Meditate. Many religions and philosophies advocate fasting as a way of refocusing the mind and developing a sense of peace. While you’re detoxifying your body, try to rid yourself of grudges, anger, sadness, and other negative feelings. Use the time you would usually spend eating or preparing food to think about your goalsand aspirations. Distill your thoughts.
Don’t overdo it: Above all, find a balanced, achievable program that combines daily exercise and changes to a healthy diet, with regular, qualified supervision. Remember you are trying to set the stage for healthy habits – not further stress your body with rapid, extreme and unsustainable change. Try to avoid binging as you come off of detoxing.
- Detox with a friend. You can support each other through rough patches and applaud successes, as well as sharing recipes and tips.
- Eat slowly. During a detox, you can stretch out your meals by chewing thoroughly and without hurry. Slow eating also aids digestion.
- Try to find time for light exercise. Yoga, Pilates, swimming or brisk walking is ideal. Don’t attempt strenuous activities such as running or weight training while fasting.
- Treat yourself to a massage. Book time with a professional, or use an exfoliating mitt to work on your own skin.
- Get some rest. You might find that detoxing makes you feel more energetic, or that it increases your lethargy. Either way, it’s important to get sufficient sleep while you’re fasting. Make sure you clock at least 8 hours a night, with afternoon naps added if necessary.
I came thru lemon detox in July 2013. I was using cayenne pepper in 10 days lemon detox and lost 16 pounds in 10 days in 2013. Below is the recipe I was using:
This is the classic single serve recipe provided in Stanley Burrough’s book:
2 (tbs). of lemon or lime
2 (tbs). of genuine maple syrup
1/10 tsp cayenne pepper
10 oz. water (hot or cold as preferred)
I can share my own experience, the only first 3 days are tough, later I was feeling very good, full of energy, I was able to do exercise and do horse riding. I was going sleep pretty early and waking up not tired at 6am. I just
In long term not to gain weight and stay healthy is not to harm your body and keep it away when possible from toxins. Of course it is impossible all the time, and sometimes you need to compromise, but try to stick to some rules whenever possible.
Do Eat organic food
You always buy organic
And don’t assume that all organic foods are healthier than non-organic options, or that organic equals healthy. Organic choices are usually pricier, for one thing. And organic high-calorie, high-fat granola bars and sugary cereals are just as bad for you as the non-organic version
- Use spices that supports weight loss –Cardamom, Turmeric, Cayenne peper, Cinnamon, garlic
Cardamom is native to the evergreen forests of India. This spice is commonly used in Indian cuisine, but it has also made its way into Ayurvedic medicine as a treatment for mouth ulcers, digestive problems, and even depression. Some of the health benefits of this peppery, citrusy spice are now making their way into modern studies. It’s well worth adding cardamom to your food for the flavor alone, but these health benefits are also something to consider whenever you break out the spices.
- Digestion – Cardamom is related to ginger and can be used in much the same way to counteract digestive problems. Use it to combat nausea, acidity, bloating, gas, heartburn, loss of appetite, constipation, and much more.
- Detoxify – This spice helps the body eliminate waste through the kidneys.
- Halitosis – In India they chew cardamom after meals or whenever they need to freshen their breath.
- Diuretic – Part of the reason cardamom is such a good detoxifier is thanks to the diuretic properties. It helps clean out the urinary tract, bladder, and kidneys, removing waste, salt, excess water, toxins, and combating infections too.
- Depression – The science behind the antidepressant qualities of cardamom hasn’t been studied yet, but Ayurvedic medicine swears by the tea as a means to fight depression.
- Oral Health – Apart from helping with bad breath, cardamom is used for mouth ulcers and infections of the mouth and throat.
- Cold and Flu – This pungent spice may help prevent and relieve cold and flu symptoms. It’s also used for bronchitis and coughs.
- Cancer – Animal studies are showing promise that cardamom protects against, inhibits growth, and even kills some cancers.
- Blood Pressure – As a diuretic and fiber rich spice, cardamom significantly lowers blood pressure.
- Blood Clots – Cardamom prevents dangerous blood clots by preventing platelet aggregation and the sticking to the artery walls.
- Antioxidant – Many of the vitamins, phytonutrients, and essential oils in cardamom act as antioxidants, cleaning up free radicals and resisting cellular aging.
- Pathogens – The volatile essential oils in cardamom inhibit the growth of viruses, bacteria, fungus, and mold.
- Anti-inflammatory – Like ginger and turmeric, its relatives, cardamom has some anti-inflammatory properties that limit pain and swelling, especially in mucus membranes, the mouth, and throat.
- Hiccups – Cardamom is an anti-spasmodic that can help get rid of hiccups. This also applies to other involuntary muscle spasms, like stomach and intestinal cramps.
- Aphrodisiac – Traditional medicine lists cardamom as a powerful aphrodisiac that can help with erectile dysfunction and impotence.
Turmeric: One of Nature’s Most Medicinal Plants. When it comes to medicinal plant foods, turmeric is amongst those on the top of the list. Its many uses are so incredible that if we didn’t see the science we might find it hard to believe. Turmeric contains a group of compounds known as curcuminoids. The most talked about and best studied compound is called curcumin, which makes up about 3% of powdered turmeric. There are many other important components found in this plant including the essential oils. Some of these oils are turmerone, atlantone, and zingiberene. The nutritional properties of turmeric are quite impressive. It contains appreciable amounts of vitamin B6 (pyridoxine), niacin, vitamin C, vitamin E, potassium, iron, manganese, zinc, and omega-3 fatty acids. It also contains calcium, magnesium, and many other nutrients.
Around the planet, some of the oldest cultures have used turmeric as a food and a medicine since ancient times. In ayurvedic and Chinese medicine, it has been used for its anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory, and anti-flatulence properties to just name a few. Let’s explore the science behind this incredible plant. Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory in the human body. It has been shown to reduce C-reactive protein which is a marker for inflammation measured in the blood, and a known risk factor for heart attack and stroke.
Numerous medical studies show that turmeric works in several ways to prevent Alzheimer’s disease. The researchers believe that turmeric and its extract curcumin may offer a safe and more effective treatment for Alzheimer’s, whichisthe most common cause of dementia. In 2011 the Journal of Periodontal Research published an article concluding that the potent anti-inflammatory effects of curcumin help with periodontal disease. Turmeric has very potent antioxidant properties. Its antioxidant strength has been measured and found to be among the highest of all herbs and spices on the ORAK scale. Among the many different antioxidant compounds that this amazing plant contains is resveratrol, which is one of the most celebrated antioxidants of the decade. In 2009, a peer-reviewed medical journal called the Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy published an article concluding that curcumin is an antifungal of clinical interest.
The list of disease conditions that turmeric may benefit is more extensive than can fit into a short article. As time goes on, more and more studies continue to reveal the amazing properties of this plant. According to statistics, the average person in India eats approximately 1 tsp of turmeric per day. I have been adding turmeric to my diet after I bought in India dried, whole pieces I grind at home. Sometimes I use the powder in my salads but mainly into the soups or meat dishes You can add it at the end not to change taste of the food for your family members.
Next time I share a great dish for whole family: Chicken with these spices that also contains garlic and few words about very well -known garlic.
Garlic: Those are famous words from the ancient Greek physician Hippocrates, often called the father of Western medicine. He actually used to prescribe garlic to treat a variety of medical conditions.
Well… modern science has recently confirmed many of these beneficial health effects.
Here are 11 health benefits of garlic that are supported by human research studies.
- Garlic Contains a Compound Called Allicin, Which Has Potent Medicinal Properties
Garlic is a plant in the Allium (onion) family.
It is closely related to onions, shallots and leeks.
It grows in many parts of the world and is a popular ingredient in cooking due to its strong smell and delicious taste.
However, throughout ancient history, the main use of garlic was for its health and medicinal properties Its use was well documented by all the major civilizations… including the Egyptians, Babylonians, Greeks, Romans and the Chinese
- Garlic Is Highly Nutritious, But Has Very Few Calories. Calorie for calorie, garlic is incredibly nutritious. A 1 ounce (28 grams) serving of garlic contains:
- Manganese: 23% of the RDA.
- Vitamin B6: 17% of the RDA.
- Vitamin C: 15% of the RDA.
- Selenium:6% of the RDA.
- Fiber:1 gram.
- Decent amounts of Calcium, Copper, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron and Vitamin B1.
Garlic also contains trace amounts of various other nutrients. In fact, it contains a little bit of almost everything we need. This is coming with 42 calories, with 1.8 grams of protein and 9 grams of carbs.
On top of it you do not feel hunger after eating garlic or after additing it to the food.
- Garlic Can Combat Sickness, Including the Common Cold
- The Active Compounds in Garlic Can Reduce Blood Pressure
- Garlic Improves Cholesterol Levels, Which May Lower The Risk of Heart Disease
- Garlic Contains Antioxidants That May Help Prevent Alzheimer’s Disease and Dementia
- Garlic May Help You Live Longer
- Athletic Performance Can be Improved With Garlic Supplementation
- Eating Garlic Can Help Detoxify Heavy Metals in the Body
- Garlic May Improve Bone Health
- Garlic Is Easy to Include In Your Diet and Tastes Absolutely Delicious
The last one is not a health benefit, but still important. It is the fact that it is very easy (and delicious) to include garlic in your current diet. It complements most savory dishes, particularly soups and sauces. The strong taste of garlic can also add a punch to otherwise bland recipes. Garlic comes in several forms, from whole cloves and smooth pastes to powders and supplements like garlic extract and garlic oil.
I personally love to eat bread with chopped into small pieces garlic on top of it. I use only butter. This is a key element of my medicine when I get a cold. Try to eat fresh, but be careful not to overuse it as it may cause digestion problems.
Cinnamon is particularly helpful in glucose (sugar) metabolism. It improves the way fat cells respond to sugar, increases insulin sensitivity and helps lower blood sugar levels.
Cinnamon and Fat Cells. Insulin is a hormone that prompts fat cells to take in sugar. Responding properly to insulin is key to maintaining healthy blood sugar levels and avoiding Type 2 diabetes. Cinnamon seems to improve fat cells’ sensitivity to insulin, prompting them to recognize and respond to it better and, thus, process sugar more efficiently. In a 2004 study published in the “Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry,” scientists noted that cinnamon extracts can enhance insulin-dependent sugar metabolism in cells roughly 20-fold. It helps in Blood Sugar Levels. The results of a study at Ball State University published in 2012 showed that consuming cinnamon extract could help regulate blood sugar in healthy, normal-weight adults. A daily dose of 6 grams of cinnamon was correlated with lower blood sugar levels and enhanced insulin sensitivity. Researchers concluded that cinnamon may provide a low cost approach to controlling blood sugar.
Other Cinnamon Benefits:
Cinnamon has been used for thousands of years to treat inflammation. Its ability to improve sugar uptake and decrease blood sugar levels makes it a natural anti-inflammatory. A secondary effect of all this may be lower cholesterol levels, better fat metabolism and improved liver function.
Next time I share breakfast idea with Cinnamon & oats, my daughter loves it.
Cayenne pepper, also known as the Guinea spice, cow-horn pepper, aleva, bird pepper, or, especially in its powdered form, red pepper, is a cultivar of Capsicum annuum related to bell peppers, jalapeños, paprika, and others. The Capsicum genus is in the nightshade family (Solanaceae). It is a hot chili pepper used to flavor dishes. It is named for the city of Cayenne in French Guiana.
The fruits are generally dried and ground, or pulped and baked into cakes, which are then ground and sifted to make the powdered spice of the same name.
Cayenne pepper, by weight, is relatively high in vitamin A. It also contains vitamin B6, vitamin E, vitamin C, riboflavin, potassium, andmanganese. However, given the very small amount of cayenne pepper typically consumed in a serving, it makes a negligible contribution to overall dietary intake of these nutrients.
Cayenne pepper consumption dilates the blood vessels and speeds the metabolism due to the high amounts of capsaicin. With the consumption of cayenne peppers, the amount of heat the human body puts off is influenced. In animal studies, capsaicin has the ability to boost metabolism, which in turn causes weight loss. This increases circulation and blood flow to all major organs, facilitatingoxygen and nutrient delivery. Cayenne pepper may support a healthy energy balance while suppressing appetite. Capsaicin has been shown to increase energy expenditure, so acts as a metabolism booster and is beneficial in long-term weight loss. A correlation has been shown between substrate oxidation and capsaicin. Capsaicin treatment sustained fat oxidation during weight maintenance, but did not affect on weight regain after modest weight loss.
Cayenne pepper is also claimed to be an aphrodisiac because it contains capsaicin. It has also been shown to aid in the oxidation ofadipose tissue, regulate high blood pressure, promote healthy liver function and tissue production, help regulate the digestive system, and promote healthy mucus production in the membranes that line internal organs.
In 2013 I was using cayenne perpper as adds into my lemon detox diet.
Do Eat Eggs & cavior
Eggs: Eggs are among the healthiest foods on the planet. They are loaded with vitamins and minerals, along with Choline and powerful antioxidants that protect the eyes.
Do check your weight
Many of diets advices even the Dukan one does not recommend to check weight every day as it may demotivate if the weight does not drop as expected. I do. Why? Because if you do not , you may quickly indulge and screw up. Checking up keeps you to control and motivates actually.
Do Write what you eat & observe how your weight changes
Here is why, each person is different and honestly I personally do not believe each of us can use same diet and same works for everyone. On top of that each of us likes different things, I am meat lover, I also like veggies, while my husband likes most pasta & meat, he really is not big fun of veggies, but likes fruits. I observed and asked people with different type of blood, and I really believe that our blood type matters. Did you ever heard why? I will share a bit more in my next post. I am type O, Meat Lover.