Today will be about how to keep min. activity necessary to keep weight under control, and if you need more to reduce your body weight what to do and what mistakes to avoid.
I will walk you thru what I was eating and how much activity I had as well give my body weight variation during the week.
At the end some useful tips, how you can stay active even you are very busy at work. How to organize yourself better to be able to:
– Enjoy what you like
– And still have enough time to stay fit.
Follow me! All is based on my own experience and observation over the past 8 months.
Let us first have a quick look for my week activity overview:
Saturday, 23rd of May
Horse Ridding at Hengsha Island, I had fantastic day with 2 girls, my daughter and her friend.
I got from my friend a message that there is a horse riding event close by Shanghai – on the Island organized by WT (Wanna Travel) agent. It was Horse riding on the island + picnic + Chinese lanterns!
I must admit I was sceptic to go since the weather forecast was not very promising and I was told this horse riding event is mainly for beginners, from the other hang my 9yo daughter could be too young to hold the horse and cross the river.
On top of everything I do not think there is a long horse riding culture in Shanghai, for sure in the Inner Mongolia, but not in Shanghai Province. So was not sure what I can really expect from this kind of trip.
Finally thought it is better to do any activity instated staying at home and watching TV. I decided to take my daughter and her friend from school, that way they both could have fun.
The schedule was the following:
9:00 Meet at Shanghai People’s Square and go the island
11:00 Horse riding warm up! Get on a horse and do several laps before your long ride!
12:00 Picnic, play Frisbee, have a walk and relax
14:00 Horse riding time! 8 kilometers
16:00 Chinese lanterns time!
16:30 Go back to Shanghai
18:00 Arrive in Shanghai, People`s Square*
* There might be delays due to the traffic, but the sequence and timing of the activities will remain the same
PRICE: 490 RMB
Including: 8 km of horse riding on the island (or inside the lap) and “warming up session”, private van, picnic (sandwich, cookies, fruits), Chinese lanterns, English speaking guide (instructor only speaks Chinese)
Useful website where you can find more travel events:
On very beginning I was disappointed as stated in the offer there was over 1h delay, but mainly due to participants coming late. So we arrived late and missed our ferry to the island, after coming on site we had to wait for the horses quite a pretty long time. The warming up session on the horse was not very enjoyable, as on the rope, but at the end the ride in the river and in the area on this Island was fantastic experience. I do not remember when I was riding so fast gallop, it was not even gallop but canter and we had a horse raced together, chasing each other. There was 2 other pretty experienced rider and they also allowed horse to achieve max. speed and pushed for very fast gallop.
I was lucky as I had super nice horse, named Lolo. Apparently very good breed for the trails. Strong, clever grey horse, which was smart enough to jump aside to avoid hole, while the horse in front of me stepped into this hole.
Definitely I would not name it horsemanship. I started Voltage when I was 11 year old and Eventing when I was 12, so it is over 30 years with some breaks that I ride different horses and was exposed to many stables and horses’ places. I think in China this sport and culture is far back after European countries like England, Germany, Austria, as well USA.
Some photos of German Leader Michael Jung.
More about Eventing maybe later as my whole family in Poland is deep in this sport.
My family, Pawel Rutkowski on Fordanser.
And here on Szkrab:
I had lunch on the Island, Chinese round table, where you share different dishes, I like that as it make meal more social. You can try different type of dishes not forced eating a lot.
The end of Saturday was also very nice, dinner with Magie and our kids in her great Yasmine’s restaurant, where I had Beef Carpaccio and Filet Mignon and garlic bread with glass of red wine.
Sunday, 24th of May
My weight = 130 pounds
Breakfast = grapefruit juice & Sandwich
Lunch = Sandwich
Dinner =Seafood buffet + Red Wine + Desserts
On 24th of May I celebrate my name day and this is why we went to seafood buffet to do so.
In Poland we celebrate name day. A name day is a tradition in many countries in Europe and Latin America that consists of celebrating a day of the year that is associated with one’s given name.
The Joanna’s name day is few times in the year, but I celebrate 24th of May.
Traditionally, name day celebrations (Polish: imieniny) have enjoyed a celebratory emphasis greater than that of birthday celebrations in Poland. However, birthday celebrations are increasingly popular and important, particularly among the young. Imieniny involve the gathering and socializing of friends and family at the celebrant’s home, as well as the giving of gifts and flowers at home and elsewhere, such as at the workplace. Local calendars often contain the names celebrated on a given day.
For example my name Joanna you may find in t6he calendar a few times at different dates, same for my daughter name, however Krzysztof still a very popular name is only once a tear on 25th of July.
In the past when I was a kind, many people were coming to friends with flowers, presents sometimes with a bottle of alcohol. The person who was celebrating the name day, especially when popular name, did not need to invite the guests, they were coming with flowers to wish all the best and such person should be ready with some snacks and alcohol to greet the guests. When popular name like Jan or Maria, we could see many people with flowers coming to celebrate these popular names.
Since we are in China we celebrated this day together in the restaurant, seafood buffet:
Monday, 25th of May
Weight = 128 pounds, walked only to office > 5k steps, as after I was going for Winner Competition Announcement to Seafood buffet.
Breakfast = grapefruit juice.
Lunch = 2 big sandwiches and apple.
And later Seafood buffet with Gloria, the 1st weight loss contest winner.
Tuesday, 26th of May
Weight = 129 pounds and walking only one way. Going for lunch to another seafood buffet and eating in the evening broad bean and had a glass of red wine.
Wednesday, 27th of May
I woke up at 6am and arrived office at 7:15am.
Weight = 128 pounds
I walked only one way (distance = 5,538 steps /4.1km) to subway, and was actually lucky, the Apple apps. Weather Forecast did not show rain, but just after I arrived to my station it started to rain, while forecast showed only afternoon rain. Anyway I am glad I managed to walk at least one way.
– Purer Tea
– Ambrosia Quark
– Handful almonds
– Green Natural Vitamins
Lunch at ‘I love you restaurant’ where I had a noodle soup with fresh tomatoes and egg, oat pastas with eggplant Lechon Sauce, Roasted Lamb Leg, Sea –Buckthorn Juice.
In the evening at 8pm company dinner in with variety of Chinese food at Fu 1039.
Thursday, 28th of May
I did not have time to check weight but I was with my friend from work in Ritz Hotel where we had a lunch buffet that consisted of soup, different kind of salads, seafood and a la carte Filet Mignon.
The view was not very good due to weather but still a very nice place to have lunch.
In the afternoon as usual I went to swimming pool with my daughter, 30 min. swim and 45 sauna.
After that we both were very hungry so In the evening I was cooking dinner with grains (quinoa, buckwheat, lentil, flax and chia seeds, oat bran, other groats, and brown rice) and beef. I made 2 kinds of dish for 2 days. I ate beef with grains next day and that day we ate stakes.
Friday, 29th of May
Weight = 129 ponds, walking 1 way only 5k steps (4km)
I had for lunch grains with beef taking to office and in the evening we had a lot of different variety of snacks during the wedding party and red wine.
We had fun at Spanish Restaurant:
Saturday, 30th of May
Too tired after Wedding to check a weight.
Breakfast = sandwiches with fromage garlic cheese
Lunch = Sandwiches with gouda cheese
Dinner = Porkolt with pasta which I cooked by myself.
Pörkölt is a Hungarian stew with boneless meat, paprika, some vegetables and no potato. It should not be confused with Goulash, a stew with more gravy or a soup (using meat with bones, paprika, caraway, vegetables and potato or different tiny dumplings or pasta simmered along with the meat), or Paprikás (using only meat, paprika and thick heavy sour cream).
My mother lived 5 years in Hungary and when I had visited her in Budapest during my high school she taught me how to cook Hungarian Pörkölt.
The traditional Hungarian stews: Pörkölt and Paprikás along with the traditional soup “Goulash” are considered to be the national dishes of Hungary.
There are different pörkölt variations from region to region. In most parts of Hungary pörkölt is made with beef or pork, I made it with beef. The word Pörkölt simply means “roasted”. Pörkölt is made of meat, onion, and sweet paprika powder. Bell peppers, tomatoes or tomato paste, green pepper, marjoram, and garlic are common additions to the basic recipe. Any kind of meat can be used when making pörkölt. Most common are beef, lamb, chicken and pork, but game, tripe and liver can also be used.
Quick Hungarian Pörkölt recipe:
• olive oil
• 1lb lean beef
• 1 onion
• 1 green, 1 red, 1 yellow paprika
• 10 champignon mushrooms
• 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin and oregano just a little for better taste
• 1 tablespoon sweet paprika (not spicy)
• Red pepper (if you want spicy dish, if not skip it, my daughter does not like spicy so I do skip it)
• 2 -4cups water
• 1teaspoon sea salt or regular salt
• 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
• 2 -3 pressed garlic cloves
• You may use bullion beef or vegetable I do not as I want to taste fresh taste of paprika & added herbs
1. Chop beef in goulash pieces, squares 1.5 up to 2cm, depends on the type of beef. Saute /fry on the pan with high temperature up to the time when you see beef relief the juice. Move it to a
2. Chop other ingredients – Paprika, mushroom, onion, if you want spicy red pepper
3. Than saute onions, and ground cumin in oil until onion is near falling apart over medium-low heat, adding water if needed.
4. Add paprika to as well sweet powdered paprika and add already before frights beef with enough water to cover beef.
5. Cover and reduce heat to low.
6. Cook for 1 1/2 hours, or until beef can be separated with wooden spoon, stirring and adding water occasionally.
7. Add “Vegeta,” or beef buillion, tomato sauce, pressed garlic and you may add a bit of red wine I do not. Blend and let simmer for another 5-10 minutes. I also thickened the sauce with flour.
Sunday, 31st of May
Weight = 130 pounds, not surprised after wedding party on Friday and eating a lot of carbo and fat food on Saturday, body still keeps a lot of water usually after party.
Breakfast /Brunch – Wild Herrings Fillet in Stone Ground Mustard Souce
Dinner in Yasmine’s Stake House:
– Cesar Salad,
– Beef carpaccio
– Filet Mignon
– 2 glasses of red wine
I run on treadmill, 1h approx. 500 calories burned on top of that total walking distance 15, 845 steps (8.54km)
Monday, 1st of June
Weight = 129 pounds, only 1 pound dropped, probably because I ate too late a big dinner consisted almost from 1kg of meat, salad and baked potatoes with sour cream.
I was only jogging 30min, and ate 2 huge sandwiches from corn bread and with avocado, butter, lettuce, ham and tomato. Before that I drunk a glass of warm water with lemon.
I am working from home today as my daughter has important event at school and she asked me to come over. On top of that today is Children’s Day.
Children’s Day is recognized on various days in many places around the world, to honor children globally. It was first proclaimed by the World Conference for the Well-being of Children in 1925 and then established universally in 1954 to protect an “appropriate” day.
International Day for Protection of Children, is observed in many countries as Children’s Day on June 1 since 1950, was established by the Women’s International Democratic Federation on its congress in Moscow (22 November 1949). Major global variants include a Universal Children’s Day on November 20, by United Nations recommendation. Since we are Polish we follow Moscow establishment and celebrate it today.
After school Dominika will get a gift and we plan to go out with her for dinner to her.
Since I only ruin 30min, I plan to walk to school back and forth it will be approx. 1h both ways. Since she likes the most Brazilian steakhouse buffet it may be tough to drop any pound by tomorrow.
After the whole week quick overview I started to analyze what causes the weight gain, drop and what again I did wrong and what went well, here are my thoughts that should also help you to avoid obvious mistakes.
MY MITSAKES WHEN I GAINED WEIGHT AND COULD NOT LOOSE IT:
1. Not eating breakfast or fasting all day and eating in the evening and night. I could even wake up in the night and go to the fridge downstairs to make sandwich or ate chocolate. Now I have changed my habits and start from warm water with lemon or grapefruit juice (freshly squeezed), eventually Pu’er Tea and try to have big lunch, you could also have oat bran with yoghurt for breakfast if you get up early and cannot wait for lunch. You should eat either big lunch or breakfast depends for what you have more time. My problem was then when I was eating in the morning I could not force myself not to eat in the evening. Now I am trying not to eat too late.
2. After Party I am eating a lot of carob: sandwiches, way too much and too often. I was staying on the coach and did not exercise at all. Now I try to force myself to go for pool or at least try to walk. I am trying to control amount & frequency of what I eat after party.
3. I was watching my favorite programs sitting or lying in bed. Now I try to force myself for walking on treadmill. I would like to give you this great tip, usually it is so hard to force to go to gym, especially in the evening so better to sit and watch TV, I started to watch my programs on line and I even did not notice how fast 90min, passed by. You can do it while watching movie, I use headset from laptop and watch programs from laptop sometimes Youtube. Believe me you do not need to run, just walk. 90min is a lot and instead of siting before going to bed watch your favorite program, relax and you will feel enough tired to go sleep immediately after taking shower.
4. Another advice is to go in the evening once or twice a week if you have time to the pool. To be honest I hate swimming but I love sauna. I force myself at least 30-45min swim and award with sauna after. I come home so much relaxed that none glass of red wine is not going to win. My daughter has every Thursday swimming lessons so I try to do everything to be back from office and go with her to the pool at 6pm. This is also motivation for myself and she also feels kind of more entertained when I am with her. You can find another activity you would like and could do with your kid depends on the age of kid and yours too, some other ideas: rock climbing, biking, skating, soccer, basketball, volleyball, handball, badminton, table tennis or just walking, aerobic, yoga. You may buy X-Box and play different sports with your kid or dance. I have just bought for kids day, I believe we are still all kids in our hearts, so actually that is a good gift for all family.
Few simple tips:
– Eat more in the first part of the day, while try not to eat before going to bed
– Eat more cooked food rather than highly processed packed or canned, more raw better for you.
– Skip deep fried stuff
– Forget about chips and French fries, well after I lost weight I love for lunch big burger with French fires and I had it on Friday, 22nd of May.
– Do not count calories, it does not make sense, try to focus on selection of food rather than counting calories
– Remove sugar and sweets from your diet.
– Walk to /from work or walk with your dog, to grocery, whenever you can, avoid any lifts. Start cycling or walking to/from work if you can instead of using car or subway, you may just use it short distance and the rest take public transportation
– Buy the equipment to use at home, that you are using most often in the gym: treadmill or other running machine, stepper, or elliptical and use it while watching favorite programs, news
– Do not sit all day in front of computer, take longer way when going to grab a coffee or to restroom, every steps count
– Get social gathering with your friends connected to sport activity: cycling, badminton, table tennis, horse riding, skiing, skating, rolls skating
– Do not eat more because you started to exercise, still keep smaller portions or eat less often
– Minimize products with high glycemic index, here is why.
The lower a food’s glycemic index or glycemic load, the less it affects blood sugar and insulin levels. Glycemic Index (GI) is a measurement carried out on carbohydrate-containing foods and their impact on our blood sugar. GI is a relatively new way of analyzing foods. Previously, most meal plans designed to improve blood sugar analyzed the total amount of carbohydrates (including sugars and starches) in the foods themselves. GI goes beyond this approach, looking at the impact of foods on our actual blood sugar. In other words, instead of counting the total amount of carbohydrates in foods in their unconsumed state, GI measures the actual impact of these foods on our blood sugar.
Over the past 15 years, low-GI diets have been associated with decreased risk of cardiovascular disease, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, stroke, depression, chronic kidney disease, formation of gall stones, neural tube defects, formation of uterine fibroids, and cancers of the breast, colon, prostate, and pancreas. Taking advantage of these potential health benefits can be as simple as sticking with whole, natural foods that are either low or very low in their GI value.
Typically, a food is consumed in whatever serving size will provide 50 grams (about 1.8 ounces) of available carbohydrates. Available carbohydrates are carbohydrates that get readily digested, absorbed, and metabolized by our body. These carbohydrates have a much greater impact on our blood sugar level than carbohydrates in general because carbohydrates in general include substances that aren’t readily digested, absorbed, and metabolized. Insoluble fibers, for example, are carbohydrates that do not have an immediate impact on our blood sugar level because they cannot be readily digested. As a very general way of estimating available carbohydrates in a serving of food, take the total amount of carbohydrates and subtract out the total amount of fiber. Available carbohydrates are what’s left. After 50 grams of available carbohydrates have been consumed, blood sugar levels are measured over a period of 2 hours. The results are summarized in what is called glucose AUC, or “area under the curve.” Glucose AUC shows the immediate impact of the food on our blood sugar.
Measuring GI also requires a second step. In this second step, 50 grams of available carbohydrate are consumed, but this time the food involved is one of two reference foods: either white bread or pure sugar (glucose). Once again, blood sugar levels are measured over a period of 2 hours, and the glucose AUC is calculated. At this point, it is possible to compare the two results. The impact of the first food on our blood sugar is compared to the impact of either white bread or glucose itself. When these two results are compared, the impact of the white bread or glucose is arbitrarily given a value of 100 to make the comparison easier. As an example, let’s say that wes are trying to establish a GI for green peas and than we decide to compare the impact of green peas on blood sugar to the impact of white bread. In this example, the person consumes a starchy vegetable like green peas, and the glucose AUC (area under the curve) is 48% as large the glucose AUC when white bread is consumed. In this case, the GI for green peas would be established at 48% of 100, or 48.
All foods get classified in the following way:
Low GI = 0-55
Medium GI = 56-69
High GI =/> 70
Foods with very low & low BI:
Romaine and other lettuce
cilantro & coriander seeds
cow’s milk, grass-fed
So the last advice, please focus to eat foods with very low and low GI and keep going with min. activities as described above, try to find the way to enjoy it and not to sacrifice everything you love because you are on diet. Try to find balance in your life and the way to combine your activity with work and daily life. Use every moment to be active, forget about all amenities that human invented during past decade.
REMEMBER! WE MORE OFTEN ARE WEEK TO BE TEMPTED RATHER THEN STRONG TO AVOID EXCUSES!
So do not give up and stay strong enough!