Long time I did not post anything new, but I do not want to disappoint those of you who follows my blog and looking forward to new posts.
I am a bit sick, got cold. It is actually unusual to be sick at this time of the year especially in China where is so hot. Today in Shanghai humid and hot -90º. Someone may wonder how possible to get sick. Easy, I was waling in this heat 7km and I was sweating like hell, completely wet, almost like coming out of the shower, I had entered to crazy Air Conditioned Starbucks and bought Green Ice Tea Frappucino. Lovely taste and refreshing in such heat. day later I got the sore throat, and following day runny nose. Since I do not drink any alcohol for quite a while I guess no natural body disinfectant, and bacteria can easily spread.
I have my own way to qucikly recover without antibiotics. While in Norway you get used to the fact that visiting doctors is useless as you the only thing you get is sick leave certificate no medication. Norwegians strongly believe in a natal way of recovery, 7 days to stay home and sweat out the virus. Who nowadays can afford to stay so long at home? In US you get immediately medication as employers dislike workers who are on sick leave. Chinese also believe in natural way, but they still go to work, which makes others sick. I try to combine best habits I learned from each country.
Let me start from my home country Poland. When I was a kid I easily got sick in kindergarten, as there was always plenty of kids sick, parents did not have choice and brought sick children even with fever. At that time there was no big attention to keep kids at home. I was sick so frequently that my parents decided to hire couple of adults on retirement to take care of me, instead of bringing me to kindergarten, these couple become my grandparents, I treat them almost the same as my real grandparents.
My grandma used to give me bread with butter and garlic, my father made milk with honey and butter, which worked as natural syrup.
Also a lot of tea with lemon. Over the time I improved the way of treating myself.
I know people who drink bear with salt (for sore throat) or egg (to sweat). Here I give you some tips how to quickly treat the cold, please do not mislead with the serious sickness. My advice assumes you are in good health condition.
1. If you feel you start to get cold but no fever you may do some sport like jogging or running (no swimming in the pool) and go afterwards to sauna, any exercise which makes you sweating will help to get read of bacteria. Exercise improves your overall fitness, which can help boost your immune system — the body’s defense against infections. Moderate intensity exercise may cut down the number of colds you get. That type of activity includes things like a 20- to 30-minute walk every day, going to the gym every other day, or biking with your kids a few times a week. Regular walking may lead to a higher number of white blood cells, which fight infections. It is usually safe to do it as long as you listen to your body. You’ll need to watch out for certain risky situations. Physical activity increases your heart rate, but so can some cold medicines. So a combo of exercise and decongestants can cause your heart to pump very hard. You may become short of breath and have trouble breathing. If you have asthma and a cold, make sure you talk with your doctor before you exercise. It may cause you to cough and wheeze more and make you short of breath. When your cold comes with a fever, exercise could stress your body even more. So wait a few days to get back to your regular exercise program. Also be careful about working out too hard when you have a cold. It can make you feel worse and slow down your recovery. For example I also listen my body, I did not feel well enough to do any kind of exercise yesterday and today. So I decided to stay home 1 day today and plan to do some jogging tomorrow morning as I feel better. Also I do not like to stay at home in bed too long I feel like even more tired and sleepy staying without any activities.
2. To boost your immunology system try to eat yogurt or take some probiotics. Probiotics are live bacteria and yeasts that are good for your health, especially your digestive system. We usually think of bacteria as something that causes diseases. But your body is full of bacteria, both good and bad. Probiotics are often called “good” or “helpful” bacteria because they help keep your gut healthy. Probiotics are naturally found in your body. You can also find them in some foods and supplements.It’s only been since about the mid-1990s that people have wanted to know more about probiotics and their health benefits. Doctors often suggest them to help with digestive problems. When you lose “good” bacteria in your body (like after you take antibiotics, for example), probiotics can help replace them.
They can help balance your “good” and “bad” bacteria to keep your body working like it should. Some common conditions they treat are:
– Irritable bowel syndrome
-Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD)
-Infectious diarrhea (caused by viruses, bacteria, or parasites)
3. What to eat, many people are not hungry, and this is also the sign your body uses energy to fight with bacteria. Eating heavy meals would not help o recover. Chinese natural medicine recommends to drink a lot of liquids. I agree with it, as you clean up your blood and body from bacteria. Fluids are an excellent thing to drink when you have a cold, especially lots of clear and thin fluids. This is because they help to thin out the secretions that your body makes naturally. As the secretions and mucous are more thin, they seem to clear more rapidly, making you feel better. Additionally, it is a part of staying well hydrated so that your body is able to fight the infection appropriately. Many people will find that warming the liquids helps in a similar manner, as both the steam and the warmth can contribute to clearing the mucous and resulting in a more normal upper airway. Turns out that your mom’s advice to drink fluids and eat warm chicken noodle soup (and always wash your hands) was exactly right, as colds are caused by a virus that does not respond in any way to antibiotics. In most cases, antibiotics are not even considered for a cold until at least a week has passed without improvement. They are considered after a week depending on whether or not there is a suspicion of concomitant bacterial infection. Now we know why Norwegians wait 7 days before prescribing any medications. I noticed my daughter was never sick for a long time after we left Norway, only recently she gets easily cold in China, I guess it is also caused by huge pollution. Children in Norway are playing outside no matter it rains, snows, usually they are most of the day outside playing, while in China depends the level of pollution. Before I move to the recommended drinks, I would give some advises what to eat:
1. Bread with butter and chopped garlic and salt on top
Garlic must be raw & chopped. This pungent superfood is a powerful flu fighter. Garlic contains compounds called allion and allicin, which have direct antiviral effects. Garlic can help destroy flu virus before it becomes a full-blown flu in the body. To get the most out of garlic’s flu-fighting properties, it’s best to chew a raw clove every three or four hours. If you can’t bear the taste, try cutting cloves into pieces and swallowing them down like pills. Some suggests mixing crushed garlic with honey, which is also reputed to have antiviral properties. I cannot stand sweet taste of honey with garlic but I love taste of sandwich with garlic and salt on top. Mix of butter and garlic helps inflammation. Like garlic, onions also contain the antimicrobial compounds allion and allicin. To get this superfood’s full flu-fighting action.
Still not in love with idea of eating raw garlic or onion? Add a few extra cloves to a soup or stir-fry. Even if garlic is cooked, it still has sulfur-containing compounds, which have anti-microbial activity as well, stronger comes from raw garlic & onion.
My mother in law makes onion syrup, my husband used to drink it, honestly I cannot stand the taste also because of it sweetness, however if you wish to try here’s a recipe for an all-natural cough syrup that is great for adults, and can be adjusted so that it excludes honey when using for young children. It saves money, tastes better than it sounds, and is healthier than over-the-counter cough medicine to boot.
Ingredients: Red onion/garlic, honey, brown sugar/
Why red/yellow onion or garlic: Onion is contains a milder form of some of the active components in garlic, but both strengthen the immune system, work as natural anti-biotics, anti-inflammatories, and expectorants (they loosen up mucous so you can cough it up.)
Why honey: If you have a dry cough, honey is great for soothing itchy and irritated throats. It’s also a natural anti-viral, anti-bacterial, anti-fungal wonder ingredient (although hopefully if you have a cough you won’t need the anti-fungal part.)
Why brown sugar/white sugar: A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down right? Besides making this syrup a little easier to swallow, it can help thicken the syrup up a bit.
You will need…
-1 red or yellow onion OR 1 head to ½ head of garlic
-Roughly a cup of organic raw honey or roughly a cup OR roughly a half of granulated white sugar or brown sugar*
-A jar or something similar with a tight fitting lid that will comfortably but snugly hold your onion.
Slice the onion evenly. Place the base of the onion in your jar, and then pour honey in a layer over it (or cover in a layer of sugar, if that’s your sweetener of choice.) Continue to alternate layering the onion and sweetener. When you’re finished, cover tightly and let it sit overnight out on the counter, or for 8-12 hours. After it has sat out, there will now be liquid in the jar. Use a spoonful as needed to control your cough (3 spoonful’s an hour, if needed.)You can use both the honey and brown sugar if you like, just adjust the layering accordingly, and remember that it will be sweeter! If you choose to use garlic, unlike onion, there is no exact amount to put in. Start with 9-12 cloves or so roughly chopped and find your flavor balance from there. Just remember you shouldn’t use too little; otherwise it won’t work as well.
Directions for kids
If you have a child too young to have honey, don’t despair because every single home cough remedy seems to have honey in it! The above recipe can be safely made for youngsters-just omit the honey and use only the sugar.
My mother in law made for my husband when he was a child only with sugar. It work very well. He actually liked it I cannot stand.
Note: This syrup should be used fresh. After you make it, you can store it in the fridge for up to 2 days. After that, just whip up another batch.
2. Yogurt with fruits and oats -has natural lactic bacteria.
3. Chicken soup, how I eat chicken soup?
Chicken soup is good for the soul. It may be worth giving yourself a dose of chicken soup as a preventative measure before the first twinge of a cold appears. Bone broths feel so restorative and therapeutic because they’re packed with immune-boosting minerals like calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, silicon and sulphur. What’s more, a warming bowl of chicken soup delivers these nutrients in a form that’s super easy for a sickly system to absorb. Other key ingredients in a chicken soup include onions, garlic and additional vegetables that add flavour and a healthy dose of phytonutrients – vital for a well-functioning immune system. They can also help to reduce inflammation in the body, which in turn may help to ease the symptoms of a pesky cold. At the first sign of sickness, your body will be working overtime to fight off infection, and this takes energy. Often we don’t feel like eating much when under the weather, but this is where the old adage, ‘’feed a cold’’ rings true. Chicken soup is a great source of healthy, easily digested calories, with heaps of added nutritional benefits. Keeping our digestive system healthy is especially important when we’re sick so that our bodies are able to absorb all the infection-fighting vitamins and minerals it needs from the food we eat. Glucosamine is one of the main building blocks of our digestive system and is released from bones when they’re cooked down. As your broth cools, a layer of gelatine will congeal on the surface. This combination of gelatin and glucosamine can help protect and heal the lining of the digestive tract. Chicken is especially rich in a compound called carnosine, and it helps to reduce that stuffy, congested feeling in your nose and throat. It’s thought that carnosine minimises inflammation in the upper respiratory tract by stopping the migration of white blood cells. The benefit only lasts for as long as the soup remains in the body. When cooking bones with joint tissue on them (like necks, knuckles, ribs or the leftover carcass from a roasted chicken) the joint tissue cooks down and dissolves into the broth. The gelatine, glucosamine and chondroitin contained within are released into the broth, absorbed by our bodies and used to repair and rebuild our own connective tissue while reducing inflammation, helping you to get back on your feet faster after a bout of illness.
In China my Ayi is buying Chicken, she can pick alive (the above is black chicken, the one I have chicken soup today), which is for sure fresh and from natural farm, I puts all with head, I tough her to cook slowly with vegetables, this is the way I learned from my father, who cooked the soup all day very slowly. Soup should not boil, the vegetables you add are: carrot, persley root, celery root and leak, onion, cabbage.
We eat in Poland with parsley green, just chopped over the soup with some noodles, the name in Polish of chicken suop is Rosół, another translation bulion:
I eat often without noddles and squeeze the garlic into the soup plus black pepper.
I must try to buy organic chicken, my Ayi buys at market and picks healthy alive chicken, which is killed and prepared in front of her.
She brings it home and cooks in half Polish and Chinese way. Chinese are using cabbage just at the end almost when soup is ready and eat when it gets soft boil. I find it very tasty like other vegetables. She learned to add Celery & Parley root, as they do not know this 2 vegetable to be often used in Chinese cuisine.
Does not look very tasty but belive me it is healthy.
The Silkie (sometimes alternatively spelled Silky) is a breed of chicken named for its atypically fluffy plumage, which is said to feel like silk, and satin. The breed has several other unusual qualities, such as black skin and bones, blue earlobes, and five toes on each foot, whereas most chickens only have four. They are often exhibited in poultry shows, and appear in various colors. In addition to their distinctive physical characteristics, Silkies are well known for their calm, friendly temperament. It is among the most docile of poultry. Hens are also exceptionally broody, and care for young well. Though they are fair layers themselves, laying only about three eggs a week, they are commonly used to hatch eggs from other breeds and bird species due to their broody nature. It is unknown exactly where or when fowl with their singular combination of attributes first appeared, but the most well documented point of origin is ancient China (hence another occasionally encountered name for the bird, Chinese silk chicken). The black meat of a Silkie is generally considered an unusual attribute in European and American cuisines. In contrast, several Asian cuisines consider Silkie meat a gourmet food. Chinese cuisine especially values the breed, but it is also a common ingredient in some Japanese, Cambodian, Vietnamese and Korean dishes. Areas where Chinese cuisine has been a strong influence, such as Malaysia, may also cook Silkie. As early as the 7th century, traditional Chinese medicine has held that chicken soup made with Silkie meat is a curative food. The usual methods of cooking include using Silkie to make broth, braising, and in curries. Traditional Chinese soup made with Silkie also uses ingredients such as wolfberries, Dioscorea polystachya (mountain yam), orange peel, and fresh ginger. My Ayi is cooking half POlsih and Chinese way. I ask her to add all ingridients like for Polish Chicken soup and cook slowly.
Chinese have used it as food and as medicine for over a thousand years.In the nutrition aspect, black chicken does indeed have less calories than regular chicken, mostly due to less fat. For example, a 100 gram piece of regular chicken has around 8 grams fat, while black chicken has only 2 grams. This is actually not bad as you watch your weight. Overall Chinesde chicken soup is less rich in fat and other ingridients than Polish one, we also used to mix Chicken with beef to give another layer of taste to so called Polish Chicken soup
n recent years, foods with black or dark colors have been recognized as a health food with medicinal effects. Japanese scientists discovered black-colored food is rich, not only in antioxidants that prevent cancer, heart diseases and menopause, but are also loaded with isoflavins, minerals and anthocyanins. Such foods are indeed very beneficial for the kidneys.
Chicken in general provides a significant amount of niacin, protein, essential fatty acids, vitamins and minerals – the healthier the chicken eats, the healthier it will be for you to eat. Research suggests black chicken offers higher levels of iron and nutrients usually present in regular chicken in addition to a lower fat content. The White Silkie chicken is higher in carnosine than typical chicken meat. Carnosine is used as a dietary supplement to ‘protect against aging.’ It has also been shown to alleviate diseases such as autism and diabetes. Carnosine can also prevent atherosclerosis, joint inflammation, and Alzheimer’s.
Europe discovered using the eggs from the White Silkie chicken can also have health benefits. The White Silkie eggs were found to be lower in cholesterol and higher in unsaturated fatty acids than regular chicken eggs. There are reports these eggs are able to treat severe headaches, headaches that develop after giving birth, asthma, and kidney problems. And some adbince for mens, some believe meat from the White Silkie chicken is more effective than viagra :). As the meat is leaner and less fatty in black chicken you my find it a bit dry especially after cooking in the broth. I have never tried made differently. As I am still in China I am going to ask my Ayi what other ways they prepare black chicken in China and share in my next post. Today mainly about health and curing benefits of some type of foods.
Some interesting facts about Silkie Chicken:
In the Tang Dynasty, the ‘maifengdanyao,’ which has the black-bone chicken as the main ingredient, was thought to be the cure-all medicine for the gynecological diseases. The famous medicinal book written during the Ming Dynasty titled “Compendium of Materia Medica” says “Taihe Old Chicken is a tonic and nourishing food to treat women’s diseases. It enriches blood and builds up the health”.
Taihe chicken was named ‘Wushan Chicken’ by Emperor Qian Long of the Qing Dynasty. The story goes that in the early years of the Qing Dynasty, there was a person whose name was Tu Wenxuan in Wushan, Taihe. This person sent the silky fowl to the Emperor Qian Long. The Emperor ate the chicken and found it delicious. Then Tu Wenxuan was appointed as an official and the Taihe Chicken was named as ‘Wushan Chicken’ by the Emperor.
For many years Taihe people have made many kinds of products from Taihe chicken. They have made a series of tonic liquors and nourishing foods. The ‘Taihe Wuji Bujiu’ is one of the four famous Chinese gift liquors. In the Taihe country brewery, black-bone chicken mixed with Chinese angelica, dangshen and 14 other traditional Chinese medicinal herbs are steeped in liquor for three to four months, then stored for six months.
In Chinese folklore, there is a fairy tale that goes with the black-bone chicken. It is said that the celestial Lu Dongbing made pills of immortality on Tiger-nose Peak long, long ago. On the day when the pills of immortality were successfully made, Lu Dongbing invited other celestial beings to the celebration party. When the celestial beings were drinking wine, a pair of wild chicken flew from the forest into the pill-making pool and ate the pills of immortality. The chickens then became a pair of white phoenix. Lu Dongbing was not glad and reported to Buddha Guanying, but Buddha Guanying smiled and said: “It’s a good opportunity for them to live on earth.” Buddha Guanying pointed at the Tiger-nose Peak, and the white phoenix immediately became silky fowl.
4. Eat fruits especially full with vitamin C and antioxidants -grapefruits, oranges, mandarins, blueberries, Cranberries, raspberries.
All berries have high concentrations of antioxidants to help fight off flu viruses, but blueberries pack the most punch: When tested against other foods, blueberries were found to have more antioxidants than 40 other fruits and vegetables. Eating at least one serving (1/2 cup or 125 mL) of raw berries every day to help you stay healthy during the flu season. If you can’t find fresh berries during the colder months, stock up on the frozen variety. Eating frozen berries isn’t as good as eating them fresh, but it’s better than eating them cooked. Run frozen berries under cold water to thaw and eat them in salads, smoothies or yogurt parfaits. You can make smoothie too.
I love raspberries in any kind of meal -icecream, yogurt, smoothie, tea, just raw.
Raspberries contain more vitamin C than oranges, are super high in fibre, low in calories and supply you with a good dose of folic acid.
Further to that, they are high in potassium, vitamin A and calcium. Did you know that Scotland is the raspberry haven.
It’s famous for its raspberry growing. In the late 1950s, raspberries were brought down from Scotland to London on a steam train known as the Raspberry Special. Raspberries are ancient
They are thought to been eaten since prehistoric times, but only began to be cultivated in England and France in about the 1600s. Very interesting that they don’t continue to ripen when picked. Unlike many fruits, unripe raspberries do not ripen after they have been picked. There’s no softening up in the fruit bowl for the raspberry – once it’s picked, that’s your lot.
They come in all sorts of colors. Not all at once, but raspberries can be red, purple, gold or black in colour. The gold ones are the sweetest variety, and very tasty.
5. Spices such as turmeric, cloves and cinnamon are packed with antioxidants, which help improve the function of the immune system.Try mixing some cinnamon into your morning oatmeal or sprinkling extra nutmeg over a bowl of applesauce. If you’re already feeling ill, traditional Indian medicine (called Ayurveda) recommends using spices to help sweat out a fever: Sip a tea from a mixture of boiling water, 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 mL) each of cinnamon and coriander and 1/4 teaspoon (1 mL) of powdered ginger to help bring your temperature down
6. Drink a lot below some tips what to drink.
# 1 –Warm water with honey and lemon
The magical combination of a glass of warm (not hot) water, juice of 1/2 a lime and one tea spoon of honey, early in the morning on an empty stomach is an ancient remedy for a plethora of maladies. Make sure to drink it fresh and not to drink coffee or tea for at least one hour after drinking this mixture. Start your day or you can drink the whole day.
# 2 –Tea with lemon, ginger and honey.
Fresh ginger root is available year round in China. Historically, ginger has a long tradition of being very effective in alleviating symptoms of gastrointestinal distress. In herbal medicine, ginger is regarded as an excellent carminative (a substance which promotes the elimination of intestinal gas) and intestinal spasmolytic (a substance which relaxes and soothes the intestinal tract). Modern scientific research has revealed that ginger possesses numerous therapeutic properties including antioxidant effects, an ability to inhibit the formation of inflammatory compounds, and direct anti-inflammatory effects. Ginger contains very potent anti-inflammatory compounds called gingerols. These substances are believed to explain why so many people with osteoarthritis or rheumatoid arthritis experience reductions in their pain levels and improvements in their mobility when they consume ginger regularly. Gingerols, the main active components in ginger and the ones responsible for its distinctive flavor, may also inhibit the growth of human colorectal cancer cells. Gingerols, the active phytonutrients in ginger, kill ovarian cancer cells by inducing apoptosis (programmed cell death) and autophagocytosis (self-digestion).
Ginger can not only be warming on a cold day, but can help promote healthy sweating, which is often helpful during colds and flus. A good sweat may do a lot more than simply assist detoxification.
# 3 – All day long you can drink just lemon with water. This is especially important if you afraid calories from maple syrup or honey.
Check out what are the benefits one cup of fresh lemon juice adds to a plain glass of water. Here are some lemon water nutrition facts:
3 grams protein
6 grams sugar
0 grams fat
112 milligrams vitamin C (187 percent DV)
303 milligrams potassium (9 percent DV)
31.7 micrograms folate (8 percent DV)
0.1 milligrams vitamin B6 (6 percent DV)
0.1 milligrams thiamin (5 percent DV)
0.1 milligrams copper (4 percent DV)
1 gram fiber (4 percent DV)
14.6 milligrams magnesium (4 percent DV)
0.4 milligrams vitamin E (2 percent DV)
# 4 Combine lemon & maple syrup preferably organic, you can also use honey but maple syrup has more healthy ingredients and also lower glicemic index.
The nutrients found in maple syrup include energy, water, protein, fat, carbohydrates, and sugars. In terms of minerals, it contains calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus sodium, potassium, and zinc. Vitamins such as thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, and B6 are also found in maple syrup.
Most people already consume plenty of sugar – likely even way more than they actually need. That being said, maple syrup is one of the sweeteners you should be using in small amounts and a good alternative to cane sugar when used in moderation.
Similar to the contrast between whole and refined grains, unrefined natural sweeteners like maple syrup contain higher levels of beneficial nutrients, antioxidants and phytochemicals than white table sugar or high fructose corn syrup. It’s also why we see the many health benefits of raw honey. When used in appropriate amounts, maple syrup nutrition benefits can include the ability to lower inflammation, supply nutrients and better manage blood sugar.
Why maple syrop is better than sugar? Both are made of about two-thirds sucrose, but maple syrup supplies less sugar overall to your diet plus more nutrients. The glycemic index score of maple syrup is about 54, compared to a score of about 65 for regular cane sugar. This means that one benefit of maple syrup nutrition is that it impacts your blood sugar levels a bit less drastically than table sugar does. Maple syrup also supplies some trace minerals and antioxidants, while sugar lacks both of these.
Another factor that makes these two sweeteners very different is how they are made. Maple syrup is derived from the sap of maple trees. Unlike refined cane sugar – which undergoes a long, complex process in order to be condensed in crystalized sugar – maple syrup is a relatively a much more natural, unrefined product.
Maple Syrup Nutrition Facts
1 tablespoon of maple syrup contains about:
0.7 milligrams manganese (33 percent Recommended Daily Value, or DV)
0.8 milligrams zinc (6 percent DV)
13.4 milligrams calcium (1 percent DV)
40.8 milligrams potassium (1 percent DV)
0.2 milligrams iron (1 percent DV)
2.8 milligrams magnesium (1 percent DV)
Luo han guo – fructus momordicae
Luo Han Guo (luohanguo) refers to the fruit of Siraitia grosvenori, formerly called Momordica grosvenori, a member of the Curcubitaceae (1). The fruit is well-known for its sweet taste; this plant family (Gourd family) has other members that contain remarkable sweet components, including additional species of the genus Siraitia (e.g., S. siamensis, S. silomaradjae, S. sikkimensis, S. africana, S. borneensis, and S. taiwaniana 2) and the popular herb jiaogulan (Gynostemma pentaphyllum). The latter herb, which has both sweet and bitter tasting triterpene glycosides in its leaves, is now sold worldwide as a tea and made into an extract for use in numerous health-care products (3). Luohanguo has been used as a medicinal herb for treating cough and sore throat
In southern China, luo han guo is popularly considered a longevity aid and is used to balance heat buildup caused by internal conditions, life-forces, or external heat. It is used as an expectorant and antitussive to treat lung congestion, cough, other respiratory ailments, and sore throat. It also is used for constipation and chronic enteritis. Luo han guo is a low-caloric, low-glycemic food used as a sweetener in beverages and cooked food.
No trials have been conducted to establish appropriate dosage. One half to 2 pieces (approximately 9 to 15 g) of the dried fruit is commonly used as a tea by simmering in boiling water.
How do I know about this. When I got cold my employee gave me something looked like big egg. It was dried. I drink it with hot water and it helps cough and other cold symptoms. In China you can buy it in pharmacy, or some markets sells it too.
Luohan guo is harvested in the form of a round, green fruit, which becomes brown on drying. It is rarely used in its fresh form, as it is hard to store. Thus, the fruits are usually dried before further use and are sold in this fashion in Chinese herbal shops. The fruits are slowly dried in ovens, preserving them and removing most of the unwanted aromas. However, this technique also leads to the formation of several bitter and astringent flavors. This limits the use of the dried fruits and extracts to the preparation of diluted tea, soup, and as a sweetener for products that would usually have sugar or honey added to them.
Bananas are rich in potassium, which is often depleted during bouts of sweating, vomiting, or diarrhea. They’re easier to digest (A+ for bland foods!), may help lower body temperature, and can help replenish lost electrolytes.
Rinsing your nose with nasal saline several times a day may help as well.
8. Tomato soup -I also have my own way. It is actually my favorite soup, I can eat it every day. I noticed that I especially need it when I am sick or after the party.
Each bowl of tomato soup simmers with several nutrients that are highly beneficial for health. It contains vitamin E, A, C, K, essential minerals and antioxidants that can keep you healthy and fit.
Tomato soup comes packed with beneficial lycopene — a red-hued nutrient that gives the soup its color. Lycopene offers powerful antioxidant protection, which means that it seeks out and neutralizes reactive oxygen species, a type of molecule linked to the aging process. A diet rich in lycopene fights chronic diseases, including stroke, there is no established recommended daily intake for lycopene, but consuming 10 milligrams daily might offer health benefits.
Chow down on tomato soup and you’ll also boost your selenium and copper intake. Selenium plays an important role in male reproductive health by promoting healthy sperm development, and also nourishes your blood vessels, muscles and thyroid gland. A serving of tomato soup contains 6.2 micrograms of selenium, or 11 percent of your recommended daily intake The copper in tomato soup boosts nervous system health and strengthens your bones and blood vessels. A 1-cup serving of tomato soup provides you with 206 micrograms of copper, or 23 percent of your recommended daily intake. Tomato also serves as an excellent source of vitamins A and C, two nutrients important for good health. Vitamin A helps control gene activity. This makes it important for tissue development, because it activates genes newborn cells need to grow into mature tissue. Each serving of tomato soup contains 476 international units of vitamin A, which is 16 percent of the recommended daily intake for men and 20 percent for women. The vitamin C in tomato soup benefits your nervous system, maintains healthy tendons and ligaments and supports your metabolism. A cup of tomato soup provides 15.6 milligrams of vitamin C — 21 and17 percent of the recommended daily vitamin C intakes for women and men, respectively.
Tomato soup has one major nutritional disadvantage — its sodium content. A serving of regular tomato soup contains 471 milligrams of sodium, which is roughly one-third of the recommended daily limit. Sodium increase your blood pressure, and regularly consuming a diet high in sodium leads to sustained high blood pressure, which in turn damages your kidneys, heart and blood vessels. When possible, select lower-sodium tomato soup — it contains 82 milligrams of sodium, or 5 percent of the daily limit, per serving. I usually do not use the salt, you could actually use fresh tomato without any salt. I use tomato pure or tomato paste, and add to Chicken broth in which I also limit salt.
The vitamin K and calcium present in tomato soup can help you get healthy bones. Lycopene in tomato soup improves bone mass, fighting osteoporosis. Consuming tomato soup regularly reduces the blood levels of TNF alpha by 34%. A deficiency in lycopene can increase oxidative stress in the bones and bring unwanted changes in the tissues. You can keep these issues at bay by making tomato soup a regular during your meal times!
9. Kiwifruit (often shortened to kiwi) or Chinese gooseberry
is the name given to the edible berries of several species of woody vines in the genus Actinidia. The Chinese name is yang tao, meaning “strawberry peach”, but early varieties were described in a 1904 nurseryman’s catalogue as having “…edible fruits the size of walnuts, and the flavour of ripe gooseberries…” and Europeans called it the Chinese gooseberry. Kiwi is packed with more vitamin C than an equivalent amount of orange, the bright green flesh of the kiwifruit speckled with tiny black seeds adds a dramatic tropical flair to any fruit salad. kiwifruit has ability to protect DNA in the nucleus of human cells from oxygen-related damage. Kiwifruit is an excellent source of vitamin C. This nutrient is the primary water-soluble antioxidant in the body, neutralizing free radicals that can cause damage to cells and lead to problems such as inflammation and cancer. In fact, adequate intake of vitamin C has been shown to be helpful in reducing the severity of conditions like osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and asthma, and for preventing conditions such as colon cancer, atherosclerosis, and diabetic heart disease.
Kiwifruit is an excellent source of vitamin C and vitamin K as well as a very good source of copper and dietary fiber. It is also a good source of vitamin E, potassium, folate, and manganese.
We underestimate the healthy benefits of coconut.
Coconut is an interesting plant belonging to the palm family. The term coconut can refer to the entire coconut palm, the seed, or the fruit, which, botanically, is a drupe, not a nut.It is believed that it comes from the regions of Asia or Polynesia. Coconut floating on the water can move hundreds and even thousands of kilometers it will find a place where it will germinate.
Therefore coconut palms spread on many islands around the world.
People from ages use the fruit of the coconut to win his flesh also called the endosperm, juice or coconut water and oil. The West nations, still associate it with exoticism.
However, the inhabitants of the island Tokelauans, located in the South Pacific, up to 60% of daily calories consume from the fruit of the coconut. Another example may be the inhabitants of the island Kitava.
Both nations enjoy great health and are free from all diseases typical of our civilization – heart attacks, strokes.
Filipinos calles the fruit of the coconut, “a cure for all diseases.” Coconut was their primary dietary component, in addition to milk or meat. Coconut is a fruit that is rich in vitamins, minerals and fiber. All of these components are necessary for healthy body.
You also need to know that the Filipinos were a society in which the major component of the diet was fat. Although not suffering from any diseases such as diabetes, cancer, and heart disease.
We all envy peoples from exotic countries smooth, radiant and youthful complexion. Their skin is without wrinkles, it seems to not be destroyed, even though their face is constantly exposed to the sun. Ever wondered why Filipinos do not get skin cancer and bursting with energy and health? It is thanks to kokosom.
Coconut is great in any form. Let me share some tips how to bets use coconut in fresh form and its oil.
Hydration A glass has more potassium than a banana and is low in sodium. Thus, drinking a glass after a workout will replenish the mineral-rich fluids your body sweat out when you were kickin’ butt in the gym with only 5mg of natural sugar per glass!
It’s Packed with Electrolytes Electrolytes can greatly impact how your body functions. Thus, consuming a glass before you start each day can foster a healthy balance of essential electrolytes (calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium and sodium) in your body.
Great for the Skin Purely drinking coconut water helps moisturize your skin and eliminate large amounts of oil. The topical application of coconut water will go a long way in clearing the skin of blemishes too. It shouldn’t be a surprise though, as there are countless facial creams and lotions on the market that contain coconut water, extract, and oil.
Another benefits of coconut oil:
– Coconut oil contains the healthiest substances on Earth: Breast milk contains a very large amount of lauric acid, which is very valuable for the body. Apart from their mother’s milk, in the world there are ONLY 3 source of lauric acid, but only one of them stands out strongly. It is coconut oil.
– Coconut oil has a beneficial effect on your thyroid
– Coconut oil counteracts obesity and lifestyle diseases
– Coconut oil is cleaning the body, it actually helps cleanse the body of toxins
– Coconut oil acts as a “sunscreen” and rejuvenates the skin
– Coconut oil can prevent cancer and helps fight cancer
– Coconut oil helps to CARE about the health of the heart and circulatory system
– Coconut oil can destroy all fungi, bacteria and viruses, so below advice why to clean your mouth with coconut oil in the morning:
Rinsing the mouth with oil is a method derived from the ancient Ayurvedic medicine. It is designed to clean the body, beginning in the oral cavity, wherein the “exists” over 600 species of bacteria in the anaerobic gram-negative bacteria.
Rinsing the mouth with oil popularly referred to as the suction oil. The trick and its health promoting properties have the power to heal, even difficult to cure, and serious ailments that modern medicine is doing poorly.
Here is a list of advantages that can be achieved with suction coconut oil:
– It has antibacterial properties-especially bacteria that cause gum disease, throat infections, sinusitis
– Prevent heart disease, high blood pressure, atherosclerosis, and stroke
– It prevents diabetes and the symptoms and risks related min. weakening eyesight or “diabetic foot”
– It kills the bacteria that cause pneumonia, ear pain, throat infections, food poisoning and urinary tract infections
– Alleviates the symptoms of gastrointestinal diseases including peptic ulcers and ulcerative colitis
– Kills viruses that cause mononucleosis, influenza, hepatitis C, measles, herpes and AIDS
– Protects against cancer including breast cancer and colon cancer. It helps with small prostatic hypertrophy
– Kills fungi and yeasts that cause candida fungal infection, ringworm, athlete’s foot, thrush, diaper rash, and rash
– It relieves symptoms of gallbladder disease
– It prevents diseases of the liver, due to anti-inflammatory properties
– It works anti-inflammatory and inhibits inflammation, protects against kidney disease and bladder infections
– It prevents premature aging and degenerative diseases, including arthritis
– Reduces symptoms associated with psoriasis, eruptions of the skin, dermatitis and it soothes dry, reddened and itchy skin
– It prevents tooth decay and periodontal disease cures. In general, it strengthens the teeth and gums. Freshens breath and prevents cavities
– Preventing the harmful effects of UV radiation
someone can doubt if this can be achieved only by rinsing the oil, actually a lot of ingredients are absorbed already in our mount, not only in the stomach.
In addition the regular consumption (especially replacement unhealthy oils) using coconut oil as additive to our meals will strengthen the good impact on our health.
How rinse your mouth with oil step by step:
1. Take into his mouth one tablespoon of coconut oil. If you have a smaller face and feel that this amount does not fit you, take less. You can also take a smaller portion if you rinse the mouth for the first time. Coconut oil quickly dissolves in the mouth. You can also gently warmed to have a liquid consistency.
2. Rinse the entire oral cavity with oil It should also be able to use a language like rinse the mouth rinsing after brushing your teeth or rinse the throat when the sage when we have an infection. Just about 15-20 minutes. During this time, you can make breakfast, dress up for work, or a lot of other things, without feeling that we are losing time.
No need to rinse very intensively, so that the oil does not “run away from the mouth.” The idea is to get it in all the nooks and crannies between teeth. When mixed with the saliva, it may become more dense. I personally rinse only 5 minutes, I do not like when oil is too long, but slightly longer the better is.
3 We spit out the oil sucked There are several schools and according to some oil can be sucked to swallow. I’m against it, because of the oil sucked a lot of bacteria, food debris, and we want to get rid of yet. Then rinse the mouth with warm water. I wash my teeth later on however the oil has already washing properties, I still prefer to wash with tooth paste. It is up to you but do not brush your teeth just after you did oil rinse.
What type of oil to buy?
It is very important you choose a good quality oil, I bought mine in US in Whole food and store it in the fridge. Please see the photo here:
There plenty of other types, you can just google it.
Here my tips for a diet during the day you try to recover:
1. Just after you wake up, rinse mouth with coconut oil, do not brush the teeth with tooth paste yet, wait 30 min.
2. Brush your teeth, wait 10 min.
3. Drink glass of warm water with lemon and honey, wait 30 min.
4. If you stay home eat your sandwich with butter and garlic, if you go out eat some berries. y
5. Later you may eat yogurt and take additional probiotic tablet
6. For lunch eat salad or chicken soup
7. For dinner you may eat salmon and chicken soup with added garlic
9. Supper eat again sandwich with garlic.
Try to keep your dishes light (pick chicken or fish) not heave avoid fried meals.
Between your meals drink at least every half an hour warm tea with lemon, can be with maple syrup or honey or without. If you can get do not forget about luo han guo or monk fruit.
In case you are not hungry try to drink and eat some fruits.
What food can help your condition. Spicy foods can make your nose run and your eyes water, but they’re also effective natural decongestants. Eat chili peppers, wasabi, or horseradish to help relieve the symptoms of congestion. Plain, unsalted, or lightly salted crackers and toast are easy on the stomach.